1.5 kg butternut squash
2 large brown onions, finely chopped
3 small garlic cloves, finely chopped
500 ml chicken stock
1 teaspoon lemon juice
250 ml water
tablespoon melted butter
250 ml fresh pouring cream
1. Peel and pip the butternuts, and cut it into about 5cm square chunks.
2. Peel and chop the onions quite finely.
3. Chop the garlic very finely, or push through a garlic press.
4. Put the onions and garlic into the melted butter in a saucepan on a moderate heat and cook until the onions are soft and transparent. Add the lemon juice and chicken stock and stir until well mixed.
5. Add the water and the cubes of butternut, and simmer until the soup is thick and all the ingredients are well blended together, about 1 hour.
6. Liquidise with a food processer.
7. Swirl a tablespoon or two of fresh cream into the centre of each bowl of soup just before serving.